Thursday, October 3, 2019


I am now holed up at Tim's, a chap I met at one of the recent adventure motorbike shows I attended,  he foolishly invited me over, and I accepted.   He has me staying in a nice log cabin at the bottom of his garden.   It was quite chilly last night so I had the log burner going keeping me warm.   No riding today as there is one big storm pounding the Dingle Peninsular, so staying in in the warm.  But tomorrow looks good so we should be able to do some riding.

I had a great ride yesterday morning.   The hotel was kicking me out at 12:00 and I left right on the dot as I was still tired from the trip from Dublin.    While I was packing up a couple of Americans were just driving off and stopped to ask if I was heading out before the storm hit, I said that was staying around for a few days.   But the storm had them flustered and so they were heading East to get away from it.   I must admit though, the storm is really kicking in now and quite glad I am in a stone house.

After leaving the hotel yesterday I passed a group of GS's with UK number plates, we did the biker thing and waved at each other.

Dingle High Street


I then headed West to do a loop around the most westerly part of the peninsular through Coumeenoole.    An amazing coastal road that was so good I road it three times, narrow road one car wide, blind bends and a low stone wall one side and rock the other.



Great views of the rugged coastline.


But why, oh why do they allow big lumbering tourist coaches on this road, or at least have a system where only one is allowed at a time.   But apparently, there is a rule that they all must go Clockwise around the peninsula, which is a really sensible thing and not at all Irish............


Then it was back towards Dingle



The Satnav got a bit confused and directed me to what it thought was a dead end, it was actually a farm track and I could see the main road ahead in the distance, so I just blasted on,  my first bit of dirt track riding, then on t the main road that heads to the Connor Pass.

Top of the Connor pass




Then charged down the past as best I could dodging the traffic comming up the pass.  I have some gopro footage I will post later.

Then I was arriving at Tim's for a nice cup of tea.

The weather was still good at this point so he took me for a stroll to the source of the river Glenahoo.



Apparently, there are around 20 wild horses that live in the valley, very friendly.




So that was it for yesterday. 

Today is going to be a bit uneventful.   But I think this afternoon we are going to spend some time in Tim's polytunnel tending to his tomatoes.  And in the meantime, I have made friends with the stray cat that moved in recently.



The smallest cat I have ever seen.  Now asleep on my lap.

















































2 comments:

  1. Impressive landscape. I suppose it's the rain that keeps it so green. But those horses' coats could do with clipping.

    ReplyDelete