Friday, July 28, 2017

Off Road Training at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales

What an amazing couple of days.

I am bookend on a www.wildcat-adventures.co.uk off road tour in Morocco next year and one of the conditions, as I am new to off road riding, was to go on a 2 day off road course.   The one they recommended is run by Honda in Wales   http://hondaadventurecentre.com/the-courses/

Instantly put at ease by the genial instructors, they could not be more helpful. Once we arrived at the off road section the instructors then graded all of the attendees by making us go up and down a gentle slalom course. They first told us how to stand on the pegs and lean to steer the bikes. I think the grading into the 3 groups was spot on. This was my first time off road and I was in the stage 1 group. Our instructor broke down the days riding into small sections. Before each section we would stop and he would go through in good detail how we should manage each section, down to road poison, gearing, breaking and traction control settings. Each section became progressively tougher, I think the progression curve was spot on. Some of the sections were designed in loops, so you could do several circuits to get to grips with technique and fine tune your skills.

This course gave me great confidence in what I can do and what my limitations are (limitations that will improve with more experience). More importantly it gave me amazing confidence in the bike. These Africa Twins just perform, they give you great confidence.

The instructors are a major asset in helping you learn. They are continually giving you advice and their calm and friendly nature gives you confidence in what they are telling you to do is well within your capability. Things that initially appear quite daunting, after their calm and measured guidance, you find that you can do.

Don't get me wrong, this is tough and the things you will do will challenge you. You have to stay focused, but this is a training course.

I wish I had done this years ago.


Once again, many thanks to all at the Honda Adventure Centre for a great couple of days.















No comments:

Post a Comment